Travel-related questions

I'm going on holiday outside of the US. What do I need to do?
Please do not leave the U.S. without having your DS-2019 validated for travel by HTP. There is a $75 fee payable via the "Payment" section on the left. Send your original DS-2019 to HTP as soon as possible. HTP will need a least one-week to sign the form and return it to you. We strongly recommend that you send your form via FedEx or the US mail using a tracking number. Please include the following information with your DS form:

  • Dates you will be traveling
  • Current address including phone number and email address
  • Address and phone number where we should return your DS form

HTP will return your form via FedEx. Our signature is valid for one year from the date signed. If you should travel again in that one-year period, please email your travel dates to HTP at If there is an emergency and you must return home immediately, send your DS form to HTP immediately with your complete address and phone number where to send it and we will return it to you visa FedEx. Do not return to the U.S. without your signed DS 2019.

How long am I allowed to stay in the US after my program has ended?
If you have successfully completed your program the Department of Homeland Security allows you to stay 30 days after your end date to put your affairs in order and travel the USA before you must leave the country. Overstaying your visa is a serious offense and will jeopardize future entries into the U.S.

Can I continue training those last 30 days instead of travelling?
No. The end date on your Form DS-2019 is the last day you can train.  This is a J-1 Visa regulation.